POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Texture Library 4.0 available : Re: Texture Library 4.0 available Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture Library 4.0 available
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 6 Jan 2003 11:16:22
Message: <3e19abd6$1@news.povray.org>
The copyright issue makes me afraid to use your site.

Do we have a community for those who hope to profit from their contribution
to a pile of software,  or a community for those who want to retain the
spirit of freeware?  Am I being too anal in seeing red in the fussiness with
copyrights?

Are the copyrights essentially:
i)  defensive: to prevent a third party from claiming exclusive rights and
thus preventing these authors from making a profit on their own work?
--or--
ii) offensive:  Use is free unless you make commerical use of my pigment.
In this case notify me and we'll discuss.  These folks stand on the shoulder
of giants in using povray but then want a dime for the lift they give the
next bloke.

I have no valid hope of ever making money on this hobby, but I can dream,
and if I create something I don't want to have to fret over what has this
copyright tripwire on it.  If I texture a trashcan in a corner of a scene,
and five years from now reuse the code in a TV commercial, will I get sued?

I would much rather  just use ****freeware****   and contribute to the
freeware community as I am able.